What is Liposuction?
Liposuction is a surgical procedure designed to reduce or eliminate pockets of unwanted fat that are resistant to improvement with diet and exercise. It is a popular body contouring procedure holding its place in the top 5 plastic surgery procedures in 2015. It is a safe and proven procedure that allows patients to improve their appearance at minimal risk. This minimally invasive procedure causes only minimal scarring. It is not a substitute for weight loss. It is not a treatment for cellulite.
Typically, patients seek liposuction to remove excess fatty deposits in the upper and lower abdomen, ankles, arms, buttocks, thighs, legs, hips, knees, neck, waist, love handles, back and under the chin; and, for breast reductions for women and men.
Board Certified Los Angeles plastic surgeon, Dr. Anthony Griffin, offers liposuction for men and women.
While we describe the various liposuction techniques, it is important to understand that great results are produced by great surgeons. Dr. Anthony Griffin is a Board Certified plastic surgeon in Beverly Hills, California, and a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons. He is fully trained and experienced, with superior skills, and talent. His heightened sense of aesthetics, and understanding of form and design, reveal themselves in his work.
Types of Liposuction
- The basic procedure is called tumescent liposuction which helps decrease bruising and bleeding. A solution of local anesthetic plus epinephrine is injected to the areas of fat that will be treated. The anesthetic numbs the area, and the epinephrine constricts blood vessels to reduce bleeding, making for safer surgery.
In addition to the tumescent procedure, other tools can be added to loosen and destroy large volumes of fat or very dense fat which makes it easier to remove, and for more precise contouring. The dead fat cells are suctioned away.
- Laser- Assisted Liposuction uses low energy lasers to liquefy the fat, making it easier to remove, with less trauma. After the fat is removed, the laser energy is used to stimulate collagen production which will cause the skin to contract, firming the area treated.
- Ultrasound- Assisted Liposuction uses ultrasonic energy to liquefy the fat. This allows large volumes of fat to be removed.
- Abdominal etching is a specialized form of liposuction used to define the abdominal muscles to achieve six-pack abs.
Once the fat cells are destroyed they are gently removed or aspirated through a cannula (a small tube).
Body Contouring with Liposuction
Liposuction is body sculpting that not only removes unwanted fatty deposits but also tightens the skin, in patients with good skin elasticity. When a patient does not have sufficient skin elasticity or has significant excess skin after major weight loss, liposuction is often combined with other surgical body sculpting procedures to remove the excess skin and reshape your body.
Am I a good candidate?
You may be a good candidate, if you have:
- Localized areas of fat that are out of proportion with the rest of your body
- These fatty deposits do not respond to diet and exercise
- You are generally healthy and physically fit
- You are no more than 20 lbs. overweight
- You desire more definition in certain areas
- You desire a slim, trim body
- You want your clothes to fit better
- You have minimal amounts of excess skin, and good skin elasticity
- You have realistic expectations about what liposuction can accomplish
The only way to be certain you are a good candidate is to schedule a consultation with Dr. Anthony Griffin, renowned plastic surgeon located in Los Angeles, California.
Your consultation with Dr. Griffin
During your consultation you and Dr. Griffin will discuss your surgical goals, your body will be examined and your trouble spots will be identified. This is the time to ask your questions. Dr. Anthony Griffin is a kind and compassionate person who is here to help you achieve your goals. He will listen to you, and explain the procedure including the risks involved, evaluate your medical history, and the elasticity of your skin. You will have photos to evaluate proportions and determine if liposuction can achieve your goals. Dr. Griffin will formulate your personalized treatment plan and offer his recommendations.
Located in Beverly Hills, California, Dr. Griffin treats patients from all over the world. Do something good for yourself and schedule a consultation with Dr. Griffin. This talented surgeon can give you the body you have only dreamed of.Book Online